Monday, April 5, 2010

First Time Blogger


Well, I've finally entered the world of blogging. I've thought about it for years but never got around to it. I recently made an Etsy account (www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyQuilters) and was reading up on how to get people to actually check out what we have to sell. They suggested a blog and so here we are.



We are a group of quilters who live in Eastern Idaho. My Grandma, mother and sister all contribute to the quilts that will be listed on our site.





This featured quilt was a block of the month quilt that for the year 2008 in the Mount Harrison Quilt Guild. My mom did this quilt. I finished four or five blocks and ended up using the blocks that I did make for an orphan quilt block quilt that was donated to our local Christmas Council.




The quilt is beautiful and I believe that it was made entirely out of her fabric stash. It is pieced with several different block sizes and filler blocks. The quilt had applique and several other techniques.




I did my first quilt when I was in high school. I purchased a quilt bat in a bag and it came with a free pattern. The pattern was for a 8 pointed star that had 2 different colors in each point. To say the least the middle of the quilt block is awful. There isn't one point that comes together nicely. My mom felt bad for me I think and turned the block into a pillow. The second try was a quilt made entirely of scraps called card tricks. Loved it. My grandma (who is contributing quilts) donated fabric, my dad and sisters helped lay out the blocks. It was a wonderful experience and a great start to quilting. The quilt turned out great and we even hand quilted it. Both of my grandmas, my dad, mom and sisters all helped quilt it so it really is a treasure to me even though it doesn't look like it would win any awards.



Since then I've decided that I don't really like hand quilting. I love piecing the quilts but hand quilting just takes too long and I don't think that my stitches are that great. So, machine quilting is the way that I go. Several years ago Grandma and my mom purchased a HQ16 quilting machine and it is great! I'm in the learning process of using it but my mom does a great job.



We are attending a quilt show in Salt Lake City that has all the new gadgets and gizmo's that quilters just love. I'll tell ya more about that later. As for now, off to bed my little bundle of joy will be up before I know it.


Til then,


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment